The mission of Chefs Move! is to diversify kitchen leadership by providing minority applicants the opportunity to train up and become leaders in restaurant kitchens and in their communities.
The John Besh & Bride Mayor Scholarship provides two fully paid scholarships, one in Culinary Arts and one in Pastry Arts, for minority recipients from New Orleans to attend the International Culinary Center in New York City. The program at ICC is nine months and is followed by a two month internship with the Besh Restaurant Group.
Once the internship has finished, Chefs Move! graduates stay and work in New Orleans for at least two years so that their advanced culinary skills benefit the local area. We hope that our graduates will want to continue working in NOLA for at least five years after the program so that they may become leaders in the kitchen and leaders in the community.
- Full tuition to 9-month Culinary or Pastry program at The International Culinary Center
- Chef Uniforms
- Kitchen Equipment
- Accommodation for the 9 months of the program in NYC
- Air travel to and from New York
- $200 grocery card
- One-Month metro card
- Laptop computer and training
- Media (including social media) training
- Job placement assistance while in New York
- Paid 8-week internship within the Besh Restaurant Group after completion of NYC program
- Chef Mentor from the Besh Restaurant Group
- Must complete and submit the application by April 30th, 2014
- Must be a resident of The Greater New Orleans Area (must be able to commute to the CBD for training and paid internship)
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must have at least one-year of experience in a restaurant kitchen
- Must be African-American, Vietnamese, Hispanic or another cultural minority