Pea soup is delicious if you make the soup with fresh ingredients. However, it is better when eaten the next day, so the pea soup in Surinam is called ‘snert’. If you are offered snert, this is soup that was made the previous day and is now more flavored. On the food blog from Moony4ever.blog she explains that there is a difference in the preparation. Pea soup is made from split peas, vegetables and smoked sausage and pork with bacon and bones is also added in the cut. This snert soep is usually eaten the next day, especially because it has become nice and thicker.
250 Grams of Lufo Salted Meat (Zoutvlees
1 Large Potato
1 Bunch of Celery
400 Grams of Split Peas
500 Grams of Pork Chops
3 Boullion Blocks (Beef)
2 Artisanal Smoked Sausages
1 Winter Carrot, 4 Spring Onions
- Boil the salted cured meat from Lufo in plenty of water for 10-15 minutes to desalt it; rinse well with cold water and cut into little cubes.
- Wash the split peas and drain in a colander.
- Cut the turnip into blocks of about 1cm. Peel the potato and cut into cubes of about 1cm. Cut the onion into rings. Cut celery into pieces. Cut winter carrot into large slices. Cut the pork chops into cubes.
2. Pea soup ~ Snert Soup:
- Cook the split peas with 2 liters of water, with the salted cured meat (zoutvlees), pork chops and stock cubes over low heat with the lid slanted on the pan, stirring regularly, 40 minutes; scoop the foam off the surface.
- Stir the onion, celery, carrot, potato and turnip into the soup and cook over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring frequently. Taste the pea soup and, if necessary, season with salt and pepper.
- Add the smoked sausage in the last 15 minutes; then remove the smoked sausage from the pan and cut it into slices. Stir the sausage slices and spring onions (cut diagonally) into the soup and heat it for another 5 minutes.
Serve with rye bread or herb butter smeared with fresh baguette. TIP: Leave the pea soup overnight for an even better taste.
Vary the pork chops with ham chops.
Want to learn more about the Surinam Kitchen, please visit https://moony4ever.blog/